Choosing a domain name is Crucial for the success of your business. Domain name is the first thing about your website which visitors see and remember.
Your website is the face of your business online.
What is a Domain Name?
A domain name is a unique name that identifies a website. The domain name is a subset of the URL (Uniform Resource Locator).
Eg: http://www.mywebsite.com in this url mywebsite.com is a domain name.
What is a URL?
The URL is the string of characters you see in your browser when you visit a website. A URL is made up of five parts: the protocol, the domain name, the path, the directory and the file name.
Consider the URL : http://www.mywebsite.com/folder/file.html.
- The protocol is http://
- The domain name is mywebsite.com
- The path is /folder/file.html.
- The directory is /folder/
- The file name is /file.html.
So Lets move to our topic “How to choose perfect domain for your website”
Following steps will help you to pick the perfect domain.
1. It should be Easy to Type
Make it easy for the customers to find your site. Make it easier to type and far less susceptible to mistakes
2. Keep it Short and Memorable
Domain names can be 1 to 67 characters long. Choose short and simple to avoid misspelling or mistyping. The shorter your domain name, the easier it will be for people to remember.
3. Keyword Rich Domain
According to recent Google algorithm change, it has devalued the keyword rich aspect of the domain. That doesn’t mean you cannot use keywords in your domain name. Try using keywords that describe your business and the services you offer.
4. Avoid Numbers and Hyphens
Numbers and hyphens are often misunderstood. Avoid multiple hyphens.
There are advantages and dis advantages of using hyphens in domain names.
1. Google treats hyphens as separators. Search engines can distinguish your keywords better and thus return your site more prominently in search results for those keywords occurring in your domain name.
2. When non-hyphenated form is not available. At least this way, you still get the domain name you want.
1. Hyphenated domains are usually confusing. People usually get confused with the dash. They often forget the dash.
2. This may result in a huge loss in traffic.
5. Target Your Area
If your business is local, consider including your city or state in your domain name to make it easy for local customers to find and remember.
6. Do Research
Make sure the name you’ve selected isn’t trademarked, copyrighted or being used by another company.
7. Choose proper Domain Name Extension
Extensions are suffixes, such as .COM or .NET, at the end of Web addresses.
.COM is the most popular, .NET is the second most popular domain suffix.
Some other extension are–
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .org : non-commercial organizations and non-profits.
- .info : informational sites.
- .biz : business or commercial use, like ecommerce sites.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
8. Protect your Brand
You should purchase various domain extensions, as well as misspelled versions of your domain name. This prevents competitors from registering other versions and ensures your customers are directed to your website, even if they mistype it.
You don’t need to build a website for every domain. Just forward any additional domains to your primary website.
9. Do it Fast
Domain names sell quickly. Thankfully, they’re also inexpensive, so register your favorite domain names as soon as possible.